Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Spending money wisely?

I just read the article, Some Purchases May Still Be Worth the Price by Ron Lieber. This article was how we spend our money on things that we want; normally, we don’t need them. People are becoming worried in the amount of money they’re spending on certain items. People want to save their money because they have the fear that we will go through another Great Depression. According to the reporter, “First of all, the vast majority of people in the United States are not going to lose their jobs. Second, most of us work not merely for subsistence but so we can spend money on things and experiences that bring us some form of contentment.” He interviewed Ron Stefanski from Michigan who recently invested in a sailboat for his family. The question was if it was wise or not?
Everytime I purchase something my mom says,”Do you really need that, you have one similar to it and you’re wasting your money.” Then I think about it, but normally end up keeping it because you can never do without too many clothes right? As I read the article I thought about the letter I wrote to the next president about college costs and people wonder if we will go through another depression. Every day people are buying things that they might already have, they just have to have the new. I think people to think wisely when purchasing something huge if they still have children and have to pay for their tuition in order to get an education. Homeowners are having to foreclose, leaving them poor and without a house. Right now the number of people losing their jobs is increasing rapidly. This is why I’m nervous for our country, especially my parents. Purchasing things may be entertaining and you may think you need them; my advise to you is think wisely and look forward to the future and see if in any way this will effect you and your family. This quote by Izzak Walton, “Look to your health; and if you have it, praise God, and value it next to a good conscience; for health is the second blessing that we mortals are capable of; a blessing that money cannot buy.” He is correct money can’t buy everything including happiness.

No comments: